Using Custom Profile Properties in Segments, Flows and Emails
Free, Growth, Prime, Powerhouse, Enterprise
Shopify, Shopify Plus
Unlock the power of custom profile properties provided by third-party products and zero-party data.
In this article, you'll learn how to effortlessly create segments, define flow conditions, and personalize communications using custom profile properties.
What are custom profile properties?
Custom profile properties are specific attributes or data points associated with individual customer profiles. These properties provide additional insights and information beyond standard contact details, allowing you to capture and store specific customer characteristics or preferences.
With custom profile properties, you can segment your audience, create personalized experiences, and tailor your communication based on unique attributes such as demographics, preferences, purchase history, or any other custom data point relevant to your business.
Suggested use cases:
- Personalized recommendations - utilize custom profile properties like "favorite product category" or "skin type" to offer personalized product recommendations based on customers' specific interests and preferences.
- Targeted campaigns - create segments based on custom profile properties such as "location," "age group," or "purchase history" to deliver targeted SMS and email campaigns tailored to specific customer segments.
- Dynamic content - use custom profile properties to dynamically populate content within your SMS flows and emails. For example, include specific details based on their profile properties such as gender, taste preferences, or even favorite color to add a personalized touch.
To create a custom profile property, use the Create a custom customer event endpoint. You can define and set up custom customer events aligning with your unique business requirements.
Once successfully created, the custom properties will automatically appear in Yotpo SMS & Email, enabling you to seamlessly incorporate them into your segments and flows.
To segment your subscribers based on custom properties from your store:
- In your Yotpo SMS & Email main menu, go to Audience > Lists & Segments.
- Click Create list or segment.
- Select the Segment type, name it, and click Create.
- From the Select filter menu navigate to Customer attributes > Custom attribute.
- Choose the desired custom attribute from the second dropdown menu. The list will include all of the custom profile properties you have set up.
- Based on the properties of the selected attribute you can choose between different operators and variations to fine-tune your segmentation.
- When you’re done adding filters, click Save.
Now, your subscribers will be grouped based on the specific custom property you've chosen, allowing you to target them with tailored flows and campaigns.
To add custom conditions to your flows follow these steps:
- Create a flow from scratch or edit an existing one.
- Add a condition step.
- Scroll to the Custom conditions section and select the condition you want to add. The list will include all of the custom profile properties you have sent via the custom customer event endpoint.
- Continue building your flow as usual. To learn more, check out our How to Build a Flow From Scratch article.
You can also include custom properties in your flow SMS and email messages.
- Go to the SMS step in the flow you want to edit.
- Click on the additional shortcodes button under the text editor
- Scroll to the Custom shortcodes section and select the shortcode you want to add to your message.
Adding custom personalization tags to emails
You can also include custom properties in your email campaigns or flows.
- Go to your email editor.
- Select the content block you want to add a custom property to and click on personalization tags.
- Scroll down to the Custom section and select the desired personalization tag.
- Make sure the personalization tag is relevant for the audience you have selected and click Add tag.