About Bounced and Skipped Emails
Free, Growth, Prime, Powerhouse, Enterprise
Shopify, Shopify Plus
When your email fails to reach a recipient, it is considered a bounced email.Bounced emails can be divided into 2 groups: hard bounces and soft bounces.Skipped emails do not get sent due to predefined rules and conditions, explained below.
Bounced emails can be divided into 2 groups: hard bounces and soft bounces.
When an email is permanently rejected, it is considered a hard bounce. Reasons for hard bounces can include one or more of the following:
- The email address is invalid
- The email address doesn’t exist
- The email server has blocked delivery
Hard-bounced emails can damage your deliverability.
If an email reaches the recipient’s email server but is rejected temporarily, it is considered a soft bounce. Reasons for soft bounces can include one or more of the following:
- The recipient’s mailbox is full
- The email server is down or not found
- The message is too large
- An auto-reply/vacation message is enabled
- The server is blocking emails because:
- The email includes specific content
- DMARC for authentication requirements are not met
- Anti-spam requirements are not met
- Anti-virus requirements are not met
- The domain does not exist
An email that was soft bounced can be delivered in the future, if it is sent again and the conditions that blocked it are no longer relevant.
Soft bounced emails can damage your deliverability.
To reduce the number of soft bounces in your campaigns, we’ve excluded by default, soft-bounced subscribers from the last 7 days.
An email is skipped when Yotpo does not attempt to send it.Skipped emails do not harm your deliverability as the system prevents them from being sent to the ESP (Email Service Provider).
The reasons behind skipped emails are one or more of the following:
Emails can be rejected due to the following:
- spam complaints
- the recipient unsubscribed
- additional reasons, for example, invalid email addresses
Suppressed emails are not sent:
- because they were hard bounced, for example, when the recipient's inbox can't be reached
- when a recipient's domain has been determined as non-existent
Emails are not sent to stores that have been listed as suspected scammers. Yotpo determines potential scammers based on various criteria. A store can be removed from the list.
Our Smart Sending feature limits the number of messages that can be sent to subscribers in a set time period, so as not to send too many messages.