Earning Rules Overview
Free, Gold, Platinum, Enterprise
BigCommerce, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Adobe Commerce (Magento), Custom
This article will give you an overview of the different ways your customers can earn points and other rewards as part of your rewards program.
Earning rules are the foundation of the earning side of your loyalty program. You can view your earning rules by going to Set Up Program > Earning Rules.
To create a new earning rule:
- Click Create earning rule.
- Choose the earning rule you want to create and click Select.
Types of earning rules
Each type of earning rule will focus on promoting different aspects of your brand whether it's turning one-time buyers into repeat customers, strengthening your brand's social media presence, or increasing brand awareness through educational content.
Purchase based earning rules
With purchase based earning rules, you can reward customers for every qualifying purchase they make in your store. These help retain loyal customers and increase the frequency of their purchases.
- Points for purchases- Customers earn points for making purchases in your store.If you're a merchant using Shopify or Shopify Plus, refer to our Setting Up a Points for Purchases Earning Rule on Shopify or Shopify Plus article
- Goal spend - Set a goal amount customers must spend to earn a reward. This earning rule helps increase average cart size and purchase frequency. Goal spend is available for Gold, Platinum, and Enterprise plans.
- Punch card - Reward customers once they've reached a set number of purchases. Use this earning rule to increase purchase frequency. Punch card is available for Gold, Platinum, and Enterprise plans.
Account based earning rules
Account based earning rules help you gain new loyalty members, and reward them even further for staying with you over time.
- Create account - Reward customers for creating an account in your store.
- Birthday reward- Reward customers annually on their birthday. Birthday reward is available for Gold, Platinum, and Enterprise plans.
- Anniversary reward - Reward customers on the anniversary of creating their loyalty account with your store. Anniversary reward is available for Gold, Platinum, and Enterprise plans.
- Sign up for SMS - Customers sign up to receive marketing text messages with Yotpo SMSBump. Sign up for SMS is available for Gold, Platinum, and Enterprise plans and on Adobe Commerce (Magento) and Generic platforms.
Social based earning rules
Use social based earning rules to strengthen your brand's social media presence.
- Facebook share - Reward customers for sharing your brand’s website on Facebook.
- Page visit - Drive traffic to your brand's Facebook, TikTok, or any other web page.
- Instagram follow - Reward customers for following your business on Instagram
- Twitter follow - Reward customers for following your brand on Twitter.
- Tweet about us - Reward customers for tweeting about your brand.
- Retweet - Increase social engagement with your brand on Twitter, and extend the reach of your tweets.
The earning rule actions cannot be confirmed due to API limitations on the social network’s side.
This means that the customer will receive a reward as soon as they are redirected to the social media, even if they did not go through with the relevant action.
Earning rules for Yotpo Reviews
If you're a merchant using Yotpo Reviews, you can create earning rules that encourage your customers to write more reviews by offering them a reward.
- Yotpo product review - Drive more product reviews with Yotpo Reviews.
- Yotpo photo review - Reward customers for uploading a photo with their product review for increased impact.
- Yotpo video review - Reward customers for uploading a video with their product review for increased impact.
Advanced earning rules
Additional earning rules that support donation opportunities, in-store omnichannel solutions, and other custom earning opportunities are available for Loyalty & Referrals customers on our different paid plans.
- Custom action - Create unique and brand-specific earning opportunities.
- Points for donations - Reward customers by donating on their behalf, and giving them points for the donation.
- Paid membership - Reward customers for joining a paid membership program.
- Read content - Drive brand awareness and engagement from customers learning more about your brand.
- Code entry - Promote marketing events and offline purchases by offering a reward for entering a code.
- Receipt upload - Extend your loyalty program to in-store and third-party retailer purchases.